Thursday, June 30, 2011

47 Coats

That's how much paint I thought it was going to take me to finish my brick fireplace. Here's a recap of how it started out.
And then I got the walls painted...

I thought I would easily knock out the fireplace last Thursday after work.  I underestimated how much time and paint my grooved bricks would take...by one gallon and 3 evenings. 

I started with one quart of Glidden Seal.  Ha!  My fireplace laughed at that puny little can.  Here it is after one coat.
At least I could tell I was on the right track.  Since I needed at least one mega coat more I went ahead and went a little darker.  I got a gallon of Behr Dark Ash and glopped it on like there was no tomorrow.  3 hours later it was finally covered!  I love the way it turned out.  I will have to go back and touch up my trim but for now it still looks great!
And I'm so glad it didn't take 47 coats.  I don't think my hand could have handled it.


2 comments: