Thursday, August 2, 2012

Stewart's New House

As I've mentioned, I found out that Stewart had heartworms the day after I adopted him.  He's been on antibiotics the last month in preparation for treatment this month followed by a month of recovery.  His recovery boils down to about 4-6 weeks of bed rest which for a dog means crating.  He can go outside to do his business but that is about it.  Because of this, I had to buy him a crate.  Stewart is used to being free in the house throughout the day.  Most days this is what he does.
He sleeps on my bed.  This is why my bed is now always covered by a sheet or extra duvet.  When he's not sleeping, he is either doing his puzzles....or eating pillows.

Have you ever wondered what the inside of a microbead bear pillow looks like?  Stewart tried to act innocent but guilt was written stuck all over his face.
So I'm thinking crate training might not be such a bad idea.  I set up the crate while he was at the vet getting lab work done.  It's not exactly my favorite design element in the living room but at least my pillows will get to come out of hiding.  When Stewart came home, he went directly to the treats I set up inside of it.  He seems to really like his little house.  I haven't closed him in it yet, but he goes in on his own to nap and even sneaks out of my room in the night to go sleep in it.  Not a bad start!

This morning Stewart checked into the doggie hospital for his heartworm treatment.  He'll be there 3 days getting various shots.  The vet tech informed me that Stewart has magical powers to escape these exact crates.  He did it 3 times while at their office on Tuesday.  Great!  It was probably all the puzzle training he's had lately.  Sigh.  This is going to be an interesting few weeks of recovery.  Better dig out my bungee cords and zip ties.

No comments:

Post a Comment