Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Patience (and Cheapness) Pays Off

I have been on the hunt for a chaise lounge for my backyard all summer.  I know I have plenty of seating back there but I really wanted a chair I could lounge on and relax.
I thought this would be a pretty easy task to accomplish...until I started checking price tags.  I wanted an all metal chaise that would hold up over the years.  They were priced over $200 at most of the places I looked...for just one...without a pad!  That was not the number my budget was looking for.  I spent the next couple of months searching for better prices.  At the end of June, Academy (for sports and outdoors...sorry, can't help it) started running one in there ads for $99.  I was so pumped!  I even swung by the store to check them out.  I didn't bite the bullet because I was worried the box wouldn't fit in my car and I couldn't find anyone to help me in the department.  And now I'm glad!

Last week I ran to Home Depot on the way home from work to grab a lightbulb for my front porch.  I just happen to swing by their patio furniture department to check out the sale they were advertising. 

I had already been watching prices online.  Their version of the iron chaise was $179 originally and had fallen to $129.  Still not as cheap as Academy, though.  Well, much to my surprise...their instore stock had been marked down to $57!!!  Now if that's not the bargain of the century, I don't know what is.  And it was packaged in such a way that I knew it would fit in my car!


I put it together pretty easily and ran to the store to buy their last in-stock chair pad for it.  It was only marked down to $27, but even with the chair it was still cheaper than Academy.  In fact, it was such a bargain that I also picked up the matching side table for $8.

The only downside to waiting until I could score this whole set for $92 is the fact that it is pretty much too hot to enjoy it right now.  Oh well, at least I know it'll be there waiting for me once the weather cools off.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great deal! I LOVE finding deals like that. I laughed in Crate and Barrel the other day when they had their outdoor sectionals marked down to like $500 PER section. Without the cushions! Those were hundreds more. Companies are crazy with their outdoor furniture prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! C & B, CB2, West Elm, Pottery Barn...they all get so excited to announce sales and the prices still make me spit out my diet coke. I mean, birds poop on that stuff and you want me to pay more for it than I spent on my indoor furniture? Really?

    ReplyDelete