Tuesday, July 31, 2012

More Adventures in Produce

I had a second round of local produce delivered by Greenling.com last week!  I swear I'm like a kid on Christmas when I open the box, even though I've already seen a list of what was to be in it.

I was quite the haul and contained several things I was completely unfamiliar with, cooking-wise.

As an added bonus, they threw in some veggie saver bags which came in handing for storing everything in my fridge.

I've spent the past few days experimenting, mostly using the recipes that Greenling provided in the package.  My first concoction was Southern Peas and Okra.  I had no clue what southern peas were; they kinda looked like beans to me. 

And they kinda tasted like peas.  I must say, I'm not a fan.  I ended up just picking out all the okra, which was great.  Next up was Chilled Watermelon Soup.

This was a big winner!  And perfect to enjoy on a weekend where temperatures kept soaring over 100.  It's basically just watermelon, greek yogurt (I use Fage), lime juice and ground nutmeg.  My last recipe I attempted was Fig and Tomato Wraps.  Before last week, my only experience with figs was a Fig Newton.  And I wasn't a fan of those.  I was nervous.

Luckily they turned out pretty good!  I can now say that I like figs.  This recipe had the filling mixed with soy sauce.  That was a little too salty in my opinion.  I would totally make these again but I'd probably substitute a balsamic vinegarette. I'm still having fun cooking my way through my box.   It is helping me forget that the heat has been doing a number on my own garden.  On tonight's menu, Squash and Pear Kabobs!

No comments:

Post a Comment