Friday, July 20, 2012

Raise the Roof!

The Great Hailstorm of 2012 claimed my roof.  Or so said my insurance company.  Some people might be elated by that news, but I'm guessing those people have lower insurance deductibles than I do.  Sigh.  I was at least excited about catching it before leaks created an even bigger problem.  Thursday morning, while I was still trying to wake up in the 6 o'clock hour, roofing elves delivered their supplies.
And while I was at work so were they.  When I came home they were still at it.  In fact, they were at it until about 9:30 last night.  I feel bad for their longs hours but I'm glad to know they were well hydrated in the heat.
Someone was hanging out in my driveway this morning so I assume they are finishing the job today.  Here's an idea of the damage from the storm.
 
Nothing too disturbing, but there are definitely some shingles knocked out of place.  Here is what it looks like now.
They replaced my whirly-thing and I actually preferred the black one I had originally.  But that's really not a big deal.  The funny thing is that the After photo almost looks like it's had some damage but that's because it's a different type of composite shingle.  This new shingle has a higher profile, doesn't lie as flat.  It also has an ombre shading (how trendy) that gives it the appearance of more depth.  Here's another before and after (of different parts of the house) that show how the shingles are different.


All in all this has been my most expensive before/after project and also the most unimpressive as far as change in appearance is concerned.  Necessary but not exciting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment