Wednesday, July 25, 2012

All Safe and Sound

In the midst of having my roof replaced and my dead AC repaired, I have been trying to prepare for a European vacation.  The dogs booked vacations to my parents and the Petshotel...I placed a hold on my mail...just lots of little tasks to accomplish before leaving the country.  Being the person that I am, I've got a spreadsheet and several checklists going.  One thing that I have been wanting to get is a security system.  I never activated the one in my condo but now that I'm in the house I thought it was a little more necessary.  And being the person that I am, I've turned several salesmen away from my door and tossed tons of junk mail away.  I wanted to do all my research before letting some suave door to door guy get the best of me.

Pablo stays cool with a frozen water bottle
Enter my heat-filled Monday night...The door bell rings.  I slowly amble to the door, dripping in sweat and probably not smelling too good.  A nice looking man and woman are on my front porch and they want to tell me about the security system they are offering.  Maybe it was heat-induced delirium, but I invited them in after chatting for a few minutes.  Next thing you know I've got a new fancy security system.  I almost thought I owed it to them after making them sit in my 94 degree dining room.  But in reality, the numbers they threw at me we comparable to what I'd reasearched and the equipment was very impressive.  Several other people in my neighborhood use them already.
My control panel is a modern touch screen.  It gives me weather forecasts and even allows 2-way talking (like Onstar) in case of emergencies.

I can also control the whole system from an app on my iPhone (or by logging into their website).  If I forget to set the alarm after I leave, not a problem!  I can check my history log and see a list of every door that's been opened, any alarms that have been triggers, or any changes that have been made.  Along with my new system came a new thermostat.  This had been on my to-do list as well because I have an old non-programmable mercury thermostat.

This was Tuesday morning, after the house cooled a little over night but before the AC was fixed.  Once it was fixed and I headed back to work, I could monitor my house's temp from my phone.

That screen capture is actually from Monday night, hence the high temp.  But you get the idea.  I can also control a power outlet in my house to turn on a lamp or whatever, all from the power of my phone.

I have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors installed and hooked up to my system as well.  All alerts are emailed and texted to me (as well as reported to proper authorities).  You can also install camera that can be monitored from your phone or keypad door locks so you can unlock/lock your doors remotely.  Quite the Smart House!  So, while heat exhaustion may have lowered my defenses...I am happy with my purchase.  It was very affordable and I can now leave the country knowing my house is being monitered and protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment