Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Gardening Continues

I really thought I was done buying plants for the backyard after I got all of this done.
 
Yes, there was a lot of blank space but I was counting on several of the items to grow.  But then I saw Whitney's shade garden this weekend and experienced some envy.  I should have taken a picture but just trust me, it looked magazine worthy.  So off to Home Depot I went.

Biscuit was stalking squirrels as I was trying to take these pictures.  I basically added 3 more hosta, 1 addition coralbell and 2 "Tropicanna" Cannas.  The cannas should grow to about 4 feet, provided I don't kill them.  My goal it to hide the ugly gas meter with leafy plants.  I think I may also paint it brown so it blends in more. Most of the things I've planted have the potential to triple in size so fingers crossed!
My wonderful plant out front spouted a baby this season.  Since that plant already gets so huge in the summer, I dug up the offshoot and moved it to the back.


You can see it lying in the dirt in the upper right corner.  I'm hoping it perks up soon.
This thin fuzzy plant is the beginning of my asparagus endeavors.  I've had a few of these shoots sprout up somewhat overnight.  It should be interesting to see how they produce.  Other than that, I'm starting to see blooms on my squash and pepper plants and tomatoes are coming in strong.
I have high hopes for the back yard this year.  It helps that the roses are now so well established and low maintenance.  I'll have some updates on the front yard later this week.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment