Thursday, September 22, 2011

One Man's Trash...Part 2

As you may recall, I rescued an old trash bin from my alley and was determined to make use of it.
I got it cleaned up and spray painted it with a hammered copper paint hoping to class it up a little.

Now it was just a matter of figuring out what type of surfaces I wanted to use to create the tabletop and shelf.  Real counter tops would require a special order since my dimensions were more narrow than an average countertop.  My dad suggested trying plywood.  It was definitely an economically solution so I decided to give it a go. 

A sheet was only $30.  I had the top cut by the guys at Lowe's and also brought home about twice as much wood as scraps from the sheet.  I figure I'll surely find a way to use all the wood eventually.

It fit perfectly.  I debated whether to stain the wood or paint it.  I went with spray paint because it would be easier.  And I choose a bright blue because I thought it'd look good with the copper and give the table a little personality. 


Since the table will live outside, I needed to seal it.  I used Rust-Oleum Spar Vanish, used on the wood on boats, because it not only protects from water but also from UV rays as well.
Several coats later my table was ready to reassemble!  It turned out great.  My old trash bin will now be perfect as a serving table for entertaining or a potting bench.  It's even light enough to move around if the mood strikes.
I still need to figure out if I want a bottom shelf but other than that, it's good to go.  Not too shabby for a dingy old trash bin.  I'm glad I was able to give him a new purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment