Thursday, September 20, 2012

End of Summer Garden Update

Well summer is on it's way out but with temps still in the 80s and 90s my garden is still growing.  I know you've all probably been on the edge of your seats wondering what was going on with the garden.  It went through a bit of a rough spell and I lost several boxes.
 The weather was so hard on my peppers they were turning bright red but only growing to the size of a gumball.  The peak of August heat caused my tomatoes to quit producing and many branches of the plants to brown.
September's cooler temperatures and rain gave many of my veggies a whole new life.  Just look how much they've grown!  I have tons of peppers coming in and growing to normal sizes.  And the okra is doing great as well.

My tomatoes are still pretty sad.  They seem to be growing outward, escaping the box.  They are starting to flower so who knows, maybe I'll get a few more tomatoes out of them.

My baby carrots were a huge flop.  I finally just pulled them all out.  They look fine...until you realize just how tiny they are, about the size of the first joint of your fingertip.

I will definitely be doing more peppers and tomatoes next year.  I might do okra again as well as squash, but I look forward to coming up with some new flavors to add next spring.  If the weather cooperates, my peppers may still be coming in for a few months!  I still haven't researched what I can plant in the winter months but I'll let you know as soon as I have it all figured out!  My first growing season has encouraged me to keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment