Wednesday, September 19, 2012

More Backyard Landscaping

I'm slowly coming up with a plan about my backyard.  I started out with just a blank, semi-grassy rectangle and I'm trying to make it a bit more attractive.
I started out giving 2 Double KnockOut rose bushes a shot with hopes of adding more if they worked out.

Aside from suffering a little bit of dog pee damage, they are still going strong and have just about doubled in size.  My mom recently added some to her backyard and while buying them discovered the Black Diamond Crape Myrtle she thought would be great for my backyard.  It's a crape myrtle that only grows to about 10 feet tall so I don't have to worry about the power lines that run along my back fence.

Calloway's ended up running a sale last week on the Black Diamonds and they had KnockOuts for 30% off.  I took it as a sign and grabbed some plants after work Thursday.  Unfortunately we had too much rain this weekend and I wasn't able to get them planted until last night.  I also wasn't able to mow so please excuse the messy yard (and out of control weed vine sneaking in from the alley).

I dug two new holes next to my original roses and added weed block to all four.  Again, ignore the weeds in my yard.  I promise to work on that this weekend.

Next I planted the crape myrtle a little further over.  My goal was for it to mature in such a location that it blocks the view of the house across the alley.
Here is the back fence now with all the new additions.  I may need one more rose bush but other than that I think I'm getting close to having full coverage...once everything matures.

My next step will be to turn the stones to the right and have them come in front of that tacky gas meter thing and then all down in front of the roses.  This will become one big bed.  I'm monitoring Home Depot and Lowe's for them to run a sale on the stone I need.  They are normally about $1.70 a stone but I'd like to get them for a little less since I need quite a few!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. I hope the new Crape Myrtle receives a sufficient amount of Sunshine so it can Bloom with full potential.

    ReplyDelete