Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bench-over

Several years ago I was feeling crafty and made this bench for my living room.  It's basically MDF, foam, a yard of fabric and some newel post finials (upside down).

Now I'm not positive I want to keep this piece in my living room but I do know that the old fabric is probably not going to fit in wherever it does finally land.  I found some cute yellow and grey fabric on Amazon.com (via Fabric.com) for $8 a yard and decided to updated it.  I removed all the legs and then painstalkingly removed a bajillion staples holding on the old fabric. 


I sprayed the legs black using some spray paint I had on hand.  It took a couple of coats since the legs, like my armoire, were once treated with Briwax.

After that it was just a matter of stapling the new yard of fabric over the foam into the MDF and then reattaching all my newly black legs.


The black legs seem a little harsh against my small print fabric so I may eventually tone them down or perhaps add a black trim border around the perimeter.  We'll see.  For now I'm happy with my $10 makeover  bench-over.

No comments:

Post a Comment