Wednesday, July 20, 2011

State of the Garden Address

Bet you're wondering if I've killed off all my plants yet.  Well surprisingly, I have not.  Between my Brown Thumb and the 100+ temperatures I was positive everything would be dead by now.  I thought we'd check in with some of my plants.  It's been a little over 2 weeks since planting.

 Above you will see the little Hosta plant in the middle and below that a few of my Vincas.
 My Hosta sprouting a lovely little bloom!  Wikipedia claims it's edible but I'll just take their word for it.
The Vincas are still holding on as well.  I lose a bloom here and there, but their leaves are staying very hardy looking.
 For some reason I have no photos of this little guy after I planted him.  But above you can see how sad he was as he was waiting to be planted.
 And here is my red Begonia.  Home Depot didn't have any flats of begonias so instead I just planted a big hanging basket.
As you can see, my Impatiens has perked up.  At least that is what the pot labeled it as...I think the leaves look like something else.  I have yet to see a bloom but at least the plant is happy.  My Begonia has lost blooms but seems to be hanging in there.

I think it really helps that most of my front yard is partially shaded by the giant oak tree.  It's giving me confidence to plant more eventually.  I'd like to be able to put some fall color out there in a couple of months, but I'm not all that sure Dallas actually has a fall.  I'll have to consult my mom on that one.  Her thumb's greener than mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment