Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dirt Dam

The last thing I got accomplished during Saturday's speed gardening session was boring but much needed.  Before buying my house, I had the Previous Owner raise the dirt level around the perimeter of the house on my inspector's suggestion.  They did.
It was raised about 8 inches and looked great, as depicted in the above photo.  Unfortunately a couple of weeks after moving in I had my first rainstorm at the house and woke up to this:
Such a nice little river of mud.  While the raised ground level is better for the house, it was not so good for my 2" metal edging.  The addition of the boxwoods helped a little but I really need to raise the edging.
While at Home Depot I grabbed 4 2' plastic edging segments.  It put me back a whopping $5.50.  It might not be the prettiest solution, but at least it is cheap and effective.  The rains this week have put it to the test and I'm happy to say it passed.

Now that I have my erosion problems under control I will actually be able to mulch this bed and greatly improve its appearance.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment