Monday, March 26, 2012

May the Gardening Begin!

Thanks to a beautiful weekend, I finally got my garden finished and planted.  I added a 40lb bag of some sort of Humus/manure organic compost concoction to give myself a little more depth.  I picked up six 4' wood slats at Home Depot.  Unfortunately I really needed them to be an inch or two longer each so that they would lay atop my garden bed.
My slats perfectly layed inside my bed.  Not good.  Luckily I was able to nail them from the side, hovering slightly above the dirt level.

This configuration should work just as well.  I bought 12 plants and 4 seed packets to make up my garden and layed them out based on how much room I thought they would need (but I could be totally wrong since this is my first stab at growing veggies). 


The majority of my plants came in little biodegradable pots that went right into the ground (minus the plastic wrappers).  I'm a little concerned about how I planted the seeds and if I planted too many but I guess when they start growing I can thin them out?  No idea.  I'm going to play that one by ear.  My tomatoes are along the back and I bought support stakes for them.  I may need to swap these out for more of a trellis structure.  Not sure about that either. 

It looks great so far!  Here's a chart of what I planted. 

My ornamental Thai Hot Peppers are supposedly edible and not just ornamental.  And I've already used some of my Apple Mint in my tea this morning!  I should start seeing some harvestable fruits by mid May, lasting throughout the summer.  I'm sure I will keep you well informed on the progess as I'm quite obsessed with this little project.  I'm hoping the critters leave my garden alone.  I'm looking at you sneaky squirrel.

In the meantime I'll just be kicking back, trying to learn more about my new hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment