Thursday, March 22, 2012

It's a Dirty Job

My vegetable garden is making progress thanks to several bags of heavy stuff I bought last weekend.  I bought a couple of more bags of rocks and finished off the trim around the garden.

My Square Foot Gardening book calls for a very specific dirt mixture with equal parts peat moss, vermiculite and compost.  It also notes you should mix various bags of store bought compost so as to get a mix from various industries.  Well after 3 garden centers I could not find vermiculite and instead went with Perlite.  And then I only used 2 types of compost.  I'm hoping to get a little more compost this weekend.  My favorite had to be the Moo-nure I bought.  As you can see, they are #1 in the #2 business.

I dumped what I had so far on a tarp and mixed them using a shovel.

After transferring it all into my garden bed I can up a little bit short.  I only bought about 6 cubic feet of dirts and I really need 8.  This should be fixed once I get additional compost and a little more peat moss.

I hope to start planting some veggies in here this coming weekend!  I can't wait to have my own salad fixins growing in my backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment