Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Vegetable Garden Started

Now that my snakes have relocated, I was able to get my future gardening area set up on Saturday before the rain.  Here's what I was starting with Saturday morning.
Of course first thing I did was move all these stones over to Pablo's Garden.  After that I was left with an ugly and somewhat holey area.  I leveled the ground as much as possible and then covered it with weed sheets.

The previous week I had purchased a DIY raised 4' x 4' bed at Home Depot.  I had planned to just build one from scratched but since this one was only about $32 I couldn't pass it up.  It snapped together in no time thanks to the dovetail joints.



Since I will be following Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening method, I will be adding a wood lath grid on top of this box which will essentianlly divide the bed into 16 separate square-foot sections.  The positioning of the bed will allow me access around the entire perimeter.  While I was at Home Depot picking up plant and mulch on Saturday, I grabbed a few bags of stones to "pave" the area around the garden.

I need a couple of more bags to finish but it is already looking cleaned up.  Hopefully in the next couple of weekends I will get a chance to get my bed filled and veggies planted!  The rain is delaying my plans but will surely let up soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment