Monday, January 23, 2012

The Refinishing Begins

I'm finally making some headway with refinishing my sideboard.  Last week I got the new hardware ordered and it should be in any day.  This weekend I started working on the drawers to the unit.  Here's what we started with:
First thing I need to do is fill in the one lonely shell engraved drawer. 

After a couple of applications of wood fill, followed by a lot of sanding, it was ready to be primed.
I decided to try out a new product for painting this piece.  Glidden makes a Trim & Door paint that is no-drip and comes in white, red, and black.  I got the extra high gloss black.  It has a weird gel consistency but it is supposed to lessen the appearance of brush strokes.

It was really simple to apply.  I now have one coat on all the drawers.  I'm allowing the 24+ hours to dry before putting on a final coat.
It is hard to tell from the pictures but below is the drawer that once had a shell on it.  The paint is still very wet in this picture so it looks a little odd.

No shell!  Once I get the second coat on, the drawers will need 72 hours to fully set.  While that's happening I hope to begin on the main body of the dresser.  That's means in about a week or so my dresser will be all done!

No comments:

Post a Comment