Friday, February 3, 2012

Colorforms

I continue to chug along on my dining room adventures.  I thought I had figured out a curtain solution last week.  I found some great grey and white fabric on Amazon for a great price and snagged it up.  Sadly, I got an email from them on Monday that there was not enough in stock to fulfill my order and my order would be cancelled.  Boo.  This development had me back to square one as far as what type of fabric and print I wanted for the room.  I kept find great curtain panels online but was having issues envisioning them in my actual room.  Well, I got the brilliant idea to channel my inner child's love for Colorforms.
You remember these, right?  You peel the people and add them to scenes or add outfits to the people.  This is exactly what I needed for my dining room!  Enter mini curtains printed out.

Excuse the photos in this post but they will be photos of printed photos.  Dirty but it got the job done.  I found a decent photo of my major dining room elements (wall color, rug, drapes).

The picture I used was during Christmas so in real life that yellow bench is not in that room.  Also the rug looks creamer than it is in real life although it is actually ivory and grey.  Most of the white in the curtains I was playing with were also ivory.  It may just be hard to tell. Clashing whites/creams/ivories were not taken into consideration in this experiment.
I love these West Elm panels.  Unfortunately I think they battle the rug too much.  They are very similar and I'm scared that will just be too overwhelming for the room.

Z Gallerie has some awesome dark charcoal selections.  The pattern in these panels are almost linear enough to not compete with the wavy rug.  I only wish the colors were reversed.  The just seem too dark for that room. 
These ivory and grey striped panels from Crate and Barrel are currently my front runners.  I like the tailored lines up against the wavy rug and the thick stripes lighten them up a little.  They are also a wee bit out of my price range so if I was to go with them, I'd have to wait for a sale and start hoarding C&B coupons. Oh, and let's not talk about how they look exactly like my duvet cover and shower curtain.  I'm aware of that.  But the heart wants what the heart wants.  Let's chalk it up to continuity through out the house.

All in all it was very fun playing dress-up with my dining room.  I learned that I'm still partial to strips or at least linear patterns.  I guess I'll start hitting up fabric stores as I wait for the ellusive Crate & Barrel Curtain Blowout Sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment