Monday, April 16, 2012

Squashed by Squash

My vegetable garden is growing like crazy.  Everything is right on schedule for May and June harvests.
I've only encountered one problem and that is my squash.  Above, if you number the squares left to right beginning at the top, squash is in box 8.  It's kinda hard to miss.  I made the mistake of planting 4 squash seedlings in one square foot area.  This weekend I removed one plant and took it to my mom for her garden.  What you see above it what 3 plants look like.  I think I'll have to move two more out to a secondary growing location.

Each of these tiny blooms will eventually become a straightneck summer squash.  We're talking 15-20 per plant!  That's a lot of squash that I'll soon have on my hands.  I'm trying to prepare by finding recipes.  I love grilled and sauted squash and I also enjoy making squash into psuedo spaghetti with my julienne slicer but with my upcoming harvest I'm going to need a bit more variety.  The recipes I can't wait to try are Squash Bread, Squash Pizza Crust (yes, you read that right) and Texican Sqaush.  Texican Squash is a casserole baked with eggs, cheese, green chiles and corn chips.  This garden of mine is sparking all sorts of creativity in the kitchen!  I can't wait to try it all out.
In other news, my tomato that appeared on Good Friday is now a little bigger than a golf ball and he has several tiny friends coming in behind him.  All my plants have buds and some are blooming.  It looks like I will be rolling in veggies soon.  Feel free to forward any squash recipes as I wait for arrivals!  

No comments:

Post a Comment