Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Weeds

Fear not!  This is not another post about the trials and tribulations of trying to get my lawn to grow.  No, this is about art.  As you know I've been searching for something to put above my sectional in the livingroom.
Various things having been hanging on the preexisting nails helping me figure out what size my art needed to be.  Above is a 40 x 27 picture, which is pretty standard poster size.  I ended up deciding I'd need something more along the lines of 60 x 40.  Well, art that big is a wee bit expensive.  Even a blank canvas that size was pricey.  I had to think outside the box.  I had noticed a teal wall sculpture called Weeds in the CB2 catalog.  It was only 36 x 30 but they photographed it hung in sets and it really grew on me.
From CB2.com
Last week it went on sale and I bit the bullet and ordered two.  I love that all shipping at CB2 is $4.95.  That really saves you money when you are buying something large.  It showed up on my porch yesterday afternoon so I spent last night assembling it.  Here is one set unassembled.
Everything was numbered and pretty easy to snap together.  I really liked it in person.  The metal is very solid, bordering on heavy.  Hank was a little unsure, but I loved it.  The color goes perfect with the other blues in the room.

Using a tape measure and level, I tried my best to center the two pieces above the couch.  My couch is 124" and the art would be 72" wide.


My centering might be a little off in the pictures but I think it looks good in real life.  It's very fun and a little unexpected.

What's really cool is the shadows it casts on the wall behind it.  They become additional dots in grey that match my grey walls.

The base shelf itself is about 3" deep, allowing room for tealight candles if one should so desire.  I may try it out once just to see the effect but I'm pretty content with it as is.

The living room feels much more together now.  I will now need to fill the holes in the wall left by the previous owner (I was lazy and left them in case my art ended up covering them) and touch up the paint.  Other than figuring out what I'm going to do with the coffee table this room is pretty much finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment