Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Hand-me-down Furniture, Part II

As you already know, I am not above taking donations.  Thanks to the Ottomans' move, I scored some great bedroom furniture. And now, thanks to my boss I have a new dresser. 

I planned on putting it in the guest room, but after temporarily storing it in the dining room I decided to keep it in there.  I had been wondering how I was going to fill that big blank wall but now that I can use this dresser as a buffet, my problem is solved! 
Another problem solved?  Linen storage.  This is how my table linens have been stored since I moved into the house.
That's right, jammed into my kitchen cabinets.  Classy, I know.  They are taking up valuable space, especially since I do not have a pantry in the kitchen and must store all my food in cabinets...along with dishes and so on.  Thanks to my free dresser all linens are not only booted from the kitchen but they are also ORGANIZED and I'm able to find things.

I have not decided if and how I want to refinish the dresser yet.  I do know I'd like to update the hardware on it and then I will either rehab the wood stain or paint it.  I'll probably wait until I decide what to do about the dining room table.
The dresser also came with a mirror that I'm now storing in my office. 

I don't need anymore mirrors in the dining room so I will probably knock off the pediment and refinish the frame so that it can hang in my guest room.  Incidently the large mirror in my dining room once graced the top of my parents bedroom dresser until I turned it into a wall mirror.  Lesson:  Don't invite me over...I will steal and repurpose your furniture in the blink of an eye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment