Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cheap Paper Art, Day 2

Once upon a time in Austin I found a frame leaned up against the dumpster at my apartment complex.  It was 24”x30”, weathered grey wood, with no glass or backing yet I snagged it up anyway.  I ended up painting it white to match my Americana living room.  Fast forward to Atlanta.  I was into Shabby Chic so with the help of sandpaper I gave the frame a more weathered look.  Once I got to Dallas my living room was furnished in distressed Mexican pine so I sanded most of the remaining white paint and gave it a Briwax rub.


Since I’ve moved into the new house, and leaned a bit more mod/contemporary, I have yet to find a purpose for it.  I like the distressed look still but it just doesn’t match.

I decided to try hanging my beautiful new teal and green paper in it.


I attached a picture hanger on the back of the frame…

And then stapled the thick paper to the edge of the frame’s back.

It looks ok but I do think the frame needs to be darker.  I may try a darker briwax rub on it (rather than paint).  The pictures don’t show the paper’s color very well but you can still get the idea.



I am on the hunt for a decal to place atop the paper to complete the piece.  For now I’m just happy that I’ve once again repurposed a piece of trash from my college years.  Grand total of today’s living room art: $4.95.  

No comments:

Post a Comment